FACTS OF INTEREST:
- There are 2 species of elephant, the African and the Asian.
- The African elephant can be up to 11 feet tall and weigh 14000 pounds.
- An elepphant’s trunk has 40,000 muscles. It serves as a nose, as a hose, as an arm, hand and fingers, and as a trumpet.
- Elephant cows and young live in large herds, led by an older female. Males are solitary or part of a small all male group.
- Elephants are seriously endangered due to destruction of their habitat. In Africa,, many elephants are also killed illegally for their tusks.