Here is an easy no-cook salt dough recipe that you can turn into an afternoon activity with your kids. It is not only easy to make, but stores well in the refrigerator when wrapped well.
NO-COOK SALT DOUGH RECIPE
- large bowl
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup fine salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- food coloring
- in a large bowl, combine the flour and salt, mix well
- add the water and mix with clean hands
- add drops of food coloring for the desired color and mix in with hands until the color is even throughout the dough
- the dough should be firm and soft
- Make impressions by flattening the dough with a rolling pin until it is like a pancake. Press objects such as a spoon, a key, shells, buttons, bottle caps (look around your house to see what you can find) into the rolled dough to make shapes and textures.
- Make patterns in the rolled dough. Take a fork and gently press it into the dough – see what interesting patterns can be made. What other objects can you find in the kitchen that will create unique patterns?
- Transfer pictures and words from newspers by rolling the dough on top of it.
- Draw pictures on the rolled out dough with toothpicks.
- Roll the dough into long ropes and wrap the rope in a spiral around itself – like a coiled snake.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes/
- Roll the dough into small balls about the size of marbles. To make beads, take a pencil or similar object and poke a hole through the center. Let the beads dry over night. When the beads are dry, paint and decorate. Let the paint dry and then string on a strand of yarn or elastic cord to make necklaces or bracelets.
Be creative and have fun!