Here is something fun for your kids on those rainy or cold days when they are stuck inside and going stir crazy. Make music with water and water glasses. Kids can experiment with the sounds that can be made varying the amount of water in each glass. What sound can be made with a spoon? Can they make up a song and sing along? No musical talent required – just a desire to have fun!
- 8 clear drinking glasses – they should all be the same
- measuring spoons
- food coloring
- gather the glasses and arrange in a row on a tabletop or counter top
- begin by filling the first glass with 2 tablespoons of water
- add 4 more tablespoons of water to the next glass and so forth until all the glasses have water in them
- test the musical scale by tapping the side of each glass gently
- you can adjust the sounds by either adding or decreasing the amount of water in each glass
- add drops of food coloring to each glass
Now the fun begins! See what sounds you can make. Can you play a tune you already know and sing along? Can you make up your own tune? Put on a musical performance for your friends and family.
Have fun and let the music begin!